HOW DANGEROUS IS BELLY FAT AND HOW TO GET RID OF IT?
Reducing belly fat has always been a challenge to many people who are trying to lose weight. This is usually expected, as visceral fat around the belly is different from subcutaneous fat around the waist, arms, and love handles. The latter sits beneath the skin and is relatively harmless, however visceral fat is deeply incorporated around the internal abdominal organs and is a metabolically active tissue. The tissue releases substances to those vital organs which increases the prevalence of numerous diseases such as cancer, diabetes and cardio-vascular problems.
Visceral fat is genetically widespread in men and post-menopausal women.
We’ve prepared a set of easy to follow tips to help you get rid of the abdominal body fat:
1. They say abs are made in the kitchen so eating right is key to your success. Adding foods that are rich in monounsaturated fats, also known as good fats, help you stay fuller and satisfied for longer periods within a balanced diet. They also help to increase the basal metabolic rate allowing the body to burn fat quicker, especially from the stomach area.
Also, make sure you’re consuming enough proteins and whole carbs in your diet as they make you feel full longer and help you build muscles.
2. You gotta move it move it! Practicing high intensity interval training (HIIT), strength training combined with a well-balanced diet helps in shrinking the unhealthy mid-section.
3. Finally, stay hydrated, get enough sleep and yes, don’t stress! We cannot emphasize enough how important it is for you to stay hydrated as a dehydrated and tired body essentially underperforms. And to help you distress, try whipping up our decadent dark chocolate avocado mousse!
Despite their benefits, MUFAs are still high in calories and portion control is key. Balance the amounts you consume, for example in a salad you can add either 10 almonds, ½ medium avocado or 2 teaspoons of olive oil.
Yours in health,
To find out more about how to beat the bulge, book an appointment here with one of our dietitians today and eat your way to a healthier you!
RECIPE COUP DE COEUR: DARK CHOCOLATE AVOCADO MOUSSE ♥
Loaded with MUFAs and ready in under 10 min, we love this chocolate avocado mousse recipe!
- 2 very ripe avocados
- 150g good quality dark chocolate (at least 70% but ideally 85%)
- 1/4 cup raw, unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup almond mylk
- 1/2 vanilla pod
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Flaky sea salt
- Chili maple almonds
1. Cut your vanilla pod in half, add the beans to your almond milk and let the pod further infuse the mylk as you prepare the other ingredients.
2. Melt the chocolate in a bain marie and let cool for about 5 min.
3. In a food processor, combine the melted chocolate with the other ingredients and puree for about 30sec or until everything is well combined and smooth. Don’t over blend!
4. Spoon the mousse into 4 small cups and chill for at least 1 hour
5. Top with our Skinny Delites crushed chili maple almonds before serving!