It is that time of year again when we all like to soak up the sun and enjoy outdoor activities such as surfing, swimming and beach volleyball, especially during our off days and travel plans. With that said, one must not forget to eat healthily during the summer months!
On-the-go snacks are great for when you want to spend a day at the beach; so why not try some of these healthy, delicious and nutritious snack ideas that are easy to make
- Chilled watermelon slices…a summer classic snack! They are refreshing and packed with vitamins & minerals
- Make your own trail mix by simply mixing raisins, diced dried apricots & pineapple slices, unsalted almonds & walnuts and add a pinch of paprika for taste
- Pack a bag of fresh cut-up veggies such as cucumber, celery sticks, mixed bell peppers & baby carrots
- Sip on minted low-fat laban with crushed ice & enjoy with it cucumber slices or whole-wheat breadsticks
- Enjoy homemade guacamole with baked corn tortillas or rice cakes
- Make your own ice tea! Just add some crushed ice and fresh fruit slices or mint leaves for a flavorful, energizing drink
- Make your own low-sugar minted lemonade. Replace sugar with a bit of honey & flavor it with blossom water
- Replace ice creams that are high in fat with fresh fruit popsicles or fruit sorbet
Most importantly practice portion control as you dine out. Research shows that by switching to a smaller plate, one can reduce their caloric intake by almost 20%.
Last but not least, don’t forget to keep well hydrated during the summer heat & quench your thirst by at least 2 liters of water a day unless otherwise directed by your physician.