SPINACH, CHARD AND ARTICHOKE DIP
Both spinach and artichokes are superfoods in their own right so it’s really not fair that this dynamic duo has such a bad reputation. Gourmands at heart, we couldn’t live without this dip and so decided to make it healthy-ish. Inspire by the New York Times recipe, here’s our take on this heart-healing and heartwarming classic!
- We added some rainbow chard for some extra vitamin C, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits but also because it’s so pretty
- Swapped the full fat cheese for low fat cheeses in most cases
- Replaced the sour cream with Greek yogurt
- Added some Greek feta and jalapenos for an extra kick.
- You can also add some fresh mushrooms for an extra dose of veggies, vetimin B and selenium…
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
1 pcs deseeded and finely diced jalapeno (optional)
250g fresh spinach, finely chopped
250g fresh rainbow chard, finely chopped
400g quartered artichoke hearts
150g low fat cream cheese
50g Greek feta
100g fresh mozzarella (full fat and fresh works best in this case)
170g low-fat Greek yogurt
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
½ teaspoon black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add garlic and jalapenos (optional) and cook down until softened, about 30 seconds.
- Add chopped spinach and chard to pot one handful at a time, letting each handful completely wilt before adding the next. Season with salt and pepper and continue to cook, stirring frequently, until most of the liquid from the greens has evaporated, about 3 minutes.
- Add the artichokes and cook for a few more minutes then reduce the heat to low and add cream cheese, feta and mozzarella. Cook for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Finally, stir in the yogurt and Parmesan and only taste at this stage to see if you need to add more salt and pepper. We always recommend you add pepper before the salt as sometimes added pepper can compensate for lack of salt.
- Transfer your dip to a small ovenproof skillet and broil until the top is golden and bubbling, about 5 to 8 minutes.
We like to serve ours with our homemade flaxseed crackers but whole wheat pita chips or baked tortillas also work really well! And in the unlikely case you may have any dip leftover, we recommend you mixing in some shredded chicken breast and making some yummy quesadillas for lunch!