With summer being just around the corner, it is that time of year again when we all get ready to soak up the sun and enjoy outdoor activities such as surfing, swimming and beach volleyball.
One should be able to set realistic and achievable goals. There is no “magic foods” that will make us lose the extra pounds we have accumulated throughout the year. However, the formula is straight-forward: following a healthy lifestyle that includes both healthy eating and physical activity is key!
Below are Right Bite’s top 10 tips to keep healthy in the summer:
1. Quench your thirst with water! Our body normally needs 6 to 8 glasses of water a day, and as our days get hotter, we will need to hydrate more often to avoid getting dehydrated
2. Summer isn’t the same without taking out the grill! Enjoy more barbeques; choose wisely by opting to grill skinless, chicken breast, fish & seafood. Go easy on the beef!
3. Stock up your fridge with seasonal fruits and vegetables. Enjoy a berry boost by having a handful of strawberries, raspberries and blueberries, which are packed with antioxidants and ideal for your skin!
4. On-the-go snacks are great for when you spend a day at the beach; so why not try some of these healthy, delicious and nutritious snack ideas that are easy to make
- Chilled watermelon slices…a summer classic snack! They are refreshing and packed with vitamins & minerals
- Make your own trail mix by simply mixing raisins, diced dried apricots & pineapple slices, unsalted almonds & walnuts and add a pinch of paprika for taste
- Pack a bag of fresh cut-up veggies such as cucumber, celery sticks, mixed bell peppers & baby carrots
- Sip on minted low-fat laban with crushed ice & enjoy with it cucumber slices to keep it low in carb
- Enjoy homemade guacamole with baked corn tortillas or rice cakes
- Make your own ice tea! Just add some crushed ice and fresh fruit slices or mint leaves for a flavorful, energizing drink
- Replace ice creams that are high in fat with fresh fruit popsicles or fruit sorbet
5. Practice portion control as you dine out. Research shows that by switching to a smaller plate, one can reduce their caloric intake by almost 20%.
6. Choose whole-grain products (brown rice, whole-wheat pasta, whole-grain bread) instead of refined ones.
7. Avoid cream and creamy sauces in the dishes, and replace with tomato sauce.
8. Avoid eating from the bread basket that most of the restaurant offer and replace with a bowl of green salad.
9. Avoid fizzy drinks and juices even if freshly squeezed.
10. Avoid salad dressings made with mayonnaise, cheese and a lot of oil. Choose the ones made with a minimum amount of oil with mustard, lemon or vinegar.
Also, a person should have a well-balanced and varied diet as follows:
- Always start with a healthy breakfast with a moderate amount of carbohydrates (unsweetened breakfast cereals, homemade granola, and oats) and protein. A good breakfast will kick start your metabolism and provide you with enough energy to start your day right.
- Choose complex carbohydrates (like brown rice, quinoa, whole-grain bread, sweet potato) mainly for breakfast and lunch in a moderate amount and keep dinner light and low in carbs for a flat belly.
- Eat 3 main meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner) with 1 – 2 healthy snacks in between in order to avoid hunger, reduce cravings and overeating at main meals.
- Always start with a bowl of green salad or cooked vegetables as they are also very rich in vitamins that act as antioxidants that are known to be very beneficial for the skin, they are also low in carb and help you feel full & guilt-free!
Bikini body is mostly made in the kitchen, then in the gym! Get your “summer dream body” by following the tips without compromising on the foods, and activities we enjoy.
Call 800HEALTHY for more information on the Low-Carb Meal Plan and to book an appointment with our expert dietitians.